We are one of more than 1,200 autonomous United Ways in our nation and nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 45 countries and territories. Since 1924, $900 million has been raised
through our United Way to help people in our community. We are the largest United Way in Connecticut and the second largest in New England. While we are headquartered in Hartford, we
help people in the 40 towns of central and northeastern Connecticut by investing in various programs and initiatives.
Read more Frequently Asked Questions here.
Our vision is a community where opportunities are available for every child to succeed in school and for every family to achieve financial security.
To engage and bring together people and resources committed to the well-being of children and families in our community.
We focus on helping children succeed and families become financially secure with access to basic needs, such as food and shelter.
With our partners, we help ALICE households succeed. ALICE—an acronym for Asset Limited,
Income Constrained, Employed, is a newly coined demographic representing one in three working families in our region who struggle to make ends meet every day. Learn more here.
United Way began serving Hartford in 1924 as the Hartford Community Chest. As the region grew into the suburbs the organization changed in 1943 to Greater Hartford Community Chest serving Hartford, East Hartford, West Hartford, Bloomfield, Newington, Wethersfield and Windsor. During this time United Funds or Community Chests were formed in Farmington, Simsbury, Vernon (Tri-Town), Manchester, New Britain, Enfield and Windham.
In 1973, following a national movement to use a consistent name, the Greater Hartford Community Chest became the United Way of Greater Hartford. In 1979 the organization became United Way of the Capital Area (UWCA). By this time, other United Way organizations in the 40-town region either merged into the UWCA or entered into affiliate agreements with UWCA for fundraising and administrative efficiencies while maintaining independent corporate status.
In June 2008, the Board of Directors of United Way of the Capital Area officially adopted the new name, United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut. This name symbolizes a truly united 40-town service region and new governance structure to support it. In 2008, several local independent United Ways previously affiliated with United Way of the Capital Area began voting to dissolve or began considering dissolution of their independent corporate status to come under one governing body that is better equipped to deal with the increasing demands of accountability and resource distribution. Local regional advisory boards will continue to work in the local communities including the Windham region, New Britain, Berlin, and Greater Enfield. Each region will do business under a local regional geographic identifier.
We are changing to become a more streamlined organization that can best meet the growing needs of our region. What will not change is our commitment to improving lives and changing conditions in local communities, thanks to committed, engaged and enthusiastic local volunteers.
Today, the United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut truly represents one united region, with one governing body working together to engage people to improve lives and change community conditions in local communities.
Historical Timeline for United Way of Central and Northern Connecticut:
|1924||Hartford Community Chest forms to fund 24 agencies and raises $381,732.|
|1943||Hartford Community Chest changes its name to Greater Hartford Community Chest. Service areas includeHartford, EastHartford, West Hartford, Bloomfield, Newington, Wethersfield and Windsor.|
|1970||United Ways national association reorganizes under the name United Way of America.|
|1973||Greater Hartford Chest changes its name to The United Way of Greater Hartford.|
|1979||The United Way of Greater Hartford changes its name to United Way of the Capital Area.|
|2008||United Way of the Capital Area changes its name to United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut.|