- Membership Groups
- Other Opportunities
Become a VITA Volunteer
What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance— the program is offered at no cost to filers. It helps individuals and families, with annual incomes up to $54,000, get ahead financially, pay down debt and work toward saving for the future. At VITA sites, IRS-certified volunteers work one-on-one with filers to prepare and electronically file state and federal income tax forms and determine qualifications for tax credits and refunds.
Watch Naomi McKoy, a United Way VITA Volunteer, tell her story.
Our VITA sites are located in Greater Hartford and the Windham Region. To volunteer, no experience is required and free training is provided.
Here's how you can help:
- Preparing and filing income tax returns with filers; or
- Greeting filers, managing appointment schedules; and
- Helping filers learn about ways to save and stretch their refunds; or
- Translating languages for volunteers and filers
What you need:
- Experience using computers;
- Time to commit to a one, four-hour session per week from mid-January until mid-April; and,
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
VITA is a meaningful, unique experience for the volunteers and filers. As a volunteer, you’ll:
- Learn valuable, lifelong skills;
- Obtain an IRS certification to build your resume; and,
- Make a difference in the community where you live. Each tax return completed by a volunteer could raise a family’s earned income by an average of nearly $2,000!
Last tax season, nearly 11,400 filers received $29.1 million in federal refunds and credits through VITA and MyFreeTaxes in central and northeastern Connecticut.
This campaign was supported by United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut, in partnership with The Village for Families & Children, City of Hartford, Human Resources Agency of New
Britain, Inc., Community Accounting Services, and many municipal and community providers.
Read more and see a complete list of partners.
Download VITA volunteer recruitment materials: