- Membership Groups
Help Families Get Financially Fit
Become a United Way Volunteer Budget Coach.
United Way Volunteer Budget Coaches help participants create and maintain a budget, pay bills on time and save for the future. Click here to hear from one participant about her experience.
United Way seeks Volunteer Budget Coaches to provide financial education and tools to working families in central and northeastern Connecticut. By helping people become more financially secure, our entire community benefits.
What is volunteer budget coaching (VBC)?
VBC is a unique opportunity for Budget Coaches to work one-on-one with participants to set and meet financial goals while helping them become financially secure. Budget coaches provide advice and assistance to participants in creating and meeting personal financial goals.
During a four-month period, together volunteers and participants identify net earnings, track expenses, reduce spending, increase savings and revenue, and create and utilize a budget so participants learn to better manage their finances in the future.
Volunteer Budget Coaches have the opportunity to:
- Learn valuable skills;
- Receive coaching training; and,
- Make a difference in the communities where they live and work.
Basic volunteer requirements:
- Complete the application and attend training and orientation;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Willingness to have an open and honest conversation about finance;
- Must commit to monthly meetings (in-person and virtual) with program participants; meeting times are flexible, and will be determined by the coaches and participants; and,
- Support participants’ efforts between meetings with occasional phone calls and emails.
Financial background is not required. Bilingual volunteers strongly encouraged to apply.
You can make more opportunities possible for people in our region!
Volunteer Budget Coaching is just one way that United Way and our partners work together to connect ALICE and other hard-working people with opportunities to get ahead.
For more information,
Please email Tasheenah Brown or call (860) 493-1122
Download Recruitment Flyer:
United Way Volunteer Budget Coaching is supported by individual and corporate contributions through the United Way Community Campaign and by the Project Reinvest: Financial Capability grant.