Free Tax Refunds
File Your Taxes Fast and Free!
There are two opportunities to receive free, quality tax assistance and preparation services - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and MyFreeTaxes.
At our local free tax sites, IRS-certified volunteers will make the process easy and help boost your earned income. Or file your own taxes for free online at MyFreeTaxes.com.
Our United Way, in partnership with The Village for Families & Children, Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc., and a network of municipal and community providers in the Greater Hartford, New Britain and the Windham regions, connects hard-working families with opportunities to keep more money in their wallets through the VITA and MyFreeTaxes campaign.
What is VITA?
- VITA helps lower-to-moderate wage-earning individuals and families, with annual incomes up to $54,000, get ahead financially, pay down debt and work toward saving for the future.
- Also, in partnership with United Way Worldwide, those with household incomes of $64,000 are encouraged to file their own taxes for free online at MyFreeTaxes.com.
- Free tax sites and the free online platform will be open from late-January until Tax Day, April 15.
- At VITA sites, IRS-trained and certified volunteers interact one-on-one with clients to prepare and electronically file state and federal income tax forms at no charge.
- Volunteers also ensure that taxpayers claim the proper credits including Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. State and federal credits may add up to more for filers next season.
- While visiting the free sites, filers will learn about other resources and benefits available to help them become financially secure and independent.
- VITA sites operate during convenient times and free tax assistance is also available in Spanish and Polish at some sites.
Beginning in early January 2017, to make an appointment at a free tax center in Greater Hartford and Windham County, dial 2-1-1 and press ‘3.' United Way 2-1-1 is a free, multilingual information and referral hotline, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For an appointment at a New Britain tax center operated by the Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc., please call 860-612-3983.
Help spread the word! VITA and MyFreeTaxes Materials:
How does VITA help families and our community?
In 2016, nearly 11,400 filers received $29.1 million in federal refunds and credits through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and MyFreeTaxes Campaign in central and northeastern Connecticut with help from 300 dedicated IRS-certified volunteers who contributed 10,000 plus hours of service.
Volunteer efforts build a stronger community for all of us because refund dollars are often invested locally, whether it’s for household essentials or one’s future, such as education.
Please join us in sharing information with working families about free tax assistance.
The 2016 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and MyFreeTaxes Campaign was supported by the following organizations, and contributions to United Way Community Investment:
City of Hartford
Eastern Connecticut State University Center for Community Engagement
Farmington Valley Community Foundation
Goodwill Industries International, Inc.
Hartford Foundation for Public Giving
Liberty Bank (in Windham County)
National Disability Institute
New Alliance Foundation, Inc.
North Hartford Promise Zone
United Way Worldwide
Community Accounting Services
Human Resources Agency of New Britain
Internal Revenue Service
United Way of Connecticut/2-1-1
The Village for Families & Children