Much like a charitable savings account, a United Way Donor Advised Fund makes giving to the causes you care about simpler than ever before.
It’s easy-to-establish, flexible and a tax effective way to support United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut and other charities.
- Achieve positive impact, based on your personal interests, values and philanthropic goals
- Make grants to the organizations* and institutions you care about through your personal online account with the option to grant anonymously
- Bundle contributions and receive immediate charitable deduction with the flexibility to make grants as you wish
- Contribute using a wide variety of cash and marketable securities; and with prior approval, other assets such as real estate, artwork or private company stock
- Mitigate capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated securities and/or reduce your estate tax liabilities
- Support the organizations you care about in perpetuity by assigning a successor advisor
- Establish charitable giving as your legacy by involving children or grandchildren in your grant making decisions
How It Works
- Establish an account by completing a Donor Contribution Agreement with United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut.
- Contribute cash or securities to the account.
- United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut will provide a tax receipt for the current tax year deduction.
- An account is created, managed and the assets are invested by United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut’s investment partner, Morgan Stanley Global Impact Funding Trust, Inc. (MS GIFT).
- As you wish, direct distributions to United Way and other charities from the account.
- Assets remain under the management of MS GIFT, for future distribution.
Creating a philanthropic legacy is easy with United Way’s Donor Advised Fund.
For more information about how a donor advised fund can be part of your overall charitable giving strategy, contact Stefanie Boles, Chief Operating Officer.