We Are Women United
We are a diverse, vibrant community, bound together by a powerful sense of belonging – to each other, to United Way’s mission and to the communities we call home. Women United is a global, growing force of 70,000+ women dedicated to creating a world of opportunity— for everyone.
We Ignite Change
Financial struggles affect families’ health and children’s education. Women United members empower each other to use our passions, ideas, expertise and resources to help women and families in our community achieve financial security.
Women United raises awareness and funds to help ensure that women and families in our community are more financially secure. More than $1.5 million has been raised though the organization’s signature fundraising event – Power of the Purse Luncheon and Silent Auction – since 2012. Funds help ensure that participants in United Way-supported programs work to identify financial goals, develop realistic budgets, reduce debt, build savings, increase income and receive career coaching. In 2019 over 700 individuals enrolled in job training programs geared toward improving their employment potential and nearly 1,400 people participated in financial management programs to create a budget, save money, and reduce debt.*
*Data as of June 30, 2019. To be updated September 2020 for FY 19-20.
We don’t stand by. We’re raising our voices, rolling up our sleeves and leaving our fingerprints on a legacy of change that benefits everyone. And as part of United Way, we have unparalleled resources to make lasting changes for local children and families. It’s our nature to protect fervently and fight fiercely for the people and causes we care about. We have an innate ability to communicate and get to the underlying issue. And we have an undeniable determination to do something about it.
We are a fellowship of women that:
- Aligns with United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut and the National Women United goals and mission and operates in accordance with the established governance practices.
- Makes long-term commitments to Economic Mobility and education initiatives for children, which deliver measurable and sustainable change within our local community.
- Prioritizes fundraising to support United Way Economic Mobility initiatives and ensure scalable success.
- Cultivates a culture of empowering women including the personal, professional, and philanthropic growth of our members and program recipients.
What’s in It for You
- Join a global movement that drives community change locally
- Network with women who have a passion for the community
- Develop your personal and professional skills
- Invest for real impact for women and children
- Participate in volunteer projects that make a meaningful difference in our community
How You Can Engage
As a member of Women United you are invited to volunteer your time and talent in the following ways:
How can I join?
- Complete this form to indicate interest in your membership and someone will contact you shortly.
- Contact Lauren Pereira, Women United Manager at LPereira@UnitedWayInc.org or 860-493-6830
- Invest in economic mobility initiatives to support ALICE families:
- You can do so by payroll deduction through your company’s annual giving campaign – please select Women United at the bottom of the United Way paper pledge form, or “Other” at the bottom of your company’s electronic pledge/e-way form’s Gift Distribution page – search for Women United, Hartford, CT (or 5000-WLI) and hit select. Please reach out to Lauren Pereira, Manager, Women United if you do not have this designation option or if your workplace does not have an employee giving campaign.
- Attending one of our events or volunteer opportunities is another great way to become involved. Upcoming events are included in our quarterly newsletter as well as on our website. Engage on social media @WUforUWCT.
Women United Membership Levels: